- This event has passed.
Proactive Labor Relations in a Non-Unionized Environment
September 28, 2022 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
One event on September 28, 2022 at 9:00 am
Our Constitution and the law recognize the right of workers to organize. While this right must be respected by all employers, there is also a concomitant right of a business enterprise to maintain its non-union status. This is not prohibited by law.
Only 10% of the workers are organized. The rest are unorganized. What are the best practices of the companies they are working in that made them see no need to organize? The seminar focuses on what preventive measures these companies have designed in dealing with their employees fairly without the intervention of a third party – the union? What are their compensation and benefit practices? What are their communications strategies? How do they engage their employees? What do they do if there is an attempt to organize without running afoul with the law?
The course runs through the best practices of these companies that have been able to operate for more than fifty years without being unionized. Common threads could be found from among these companies that could serve as models for other non-organized companies to follow.
At the end of the 2-day program, participants will be able to:
- Know the importance of good labor relations during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Create a positive/proactive employee relations environment
- Communicate a positive employee relations policy (including alternative work arrangements)
- Understand what are the company early warning systems in terms of employee dissatisfaction at work
- Appreciate the do’s and don’t’s when the union knocks at your door
- COVID-19 and labor management relations
- The true meaning of preventive labor relations
- The Constitution and the law
- Distinction between non-union and anti-union
- Communicating a positive employee relations policy
- Creating a positive/proactive employee relations environment
- Components of a positive employee relations environment
- Advantages of a positive employee relations environment
- Why employees seek union representation
- Understanding personal value systems
- Impact on unionization
- Company early warning system
- How unions organize employees
- The External organizers
- The Internal organizers
- What to do when union knocks at the door
Industrial relations and human resources practitioners and managers of organizations who would like to maintain a non-unionized environment.
- Case analysis
- Re-entry plans
Atty. Ranulfo (Noli) P. Payos was a lecturer in the De La Salle Professional School, Inc. Graduate School of Business’ corporate governance program. He is the Chairman of a management consulting firm, Change Management International, Inc. He is the Vice President of the Employers’ Confederation of the Philippines (ECOP) and Vice President of ECOP Institute of Productivity and Competitiveness (EIPC). Likewise, he was a former member of the Board of Directors of the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) as a representative of the employer sector.
He was.appointed by President Benigno Aquino III as Commissioner of the Tripartite Voluntary Arbitration Advisory Council (TVAAC) and is currently a member of the Tripartite Industrial Peace Council (TIPC) and Tripartite Executive Committee (TEC) An awardee of People Manager of the Year in 1987, he is a Diplomate in Personnel Management and was elected President of the People Management Association of the Philippines (PMAP) for two terms. He was a former member of the Board of Regents of Rizal Technological University. He also elected President of the Society of Fellows in Personnel Management. He was a former member of the Society of Human Resources of USA (SHRM).
Atty. Payos has had 31 years of professional experience in Human Resources Management occupying senior executive positions in several multinational companies until his retirement in 1994 as Senior Vice-President of Human Resources and Administration and Corporate Secretary of Eastern Telecommunications Philippines, Inc. He also held leadership positions in various professional and civic organizations. Moreover, he took up MBA studies and continuing management education and training programs in several reputable schools and institutions in the Philippines, U.S.A., and the United Kingdom. He has also attended international conferences on human resources management and labor relations in the U.S.A., ASEAN countries, Japan, Australia, Hongkong, Korea, Switzerland, Italy, and Ireland. He was 6 times employers’ delegate to the International Labor Conference (ILC) in Geneva, Switzerland. His areas of expertise lie in Human Resource Management, Labor Relations, Training and Development, Manpower Planning, Executive Selection and Placement, Corporate Communications, Job Evaluation, and Performance Management.
He is a co-author of the book “Personnel Management in the 21st Century” – a revision of the book originally written by PMAP founder and first President, entitled “Personnel Management.” and author of the newly-minted book, “Human Resource Management – From the Practitioner’s Point of View.”
September 26 and 28, 2022, 9:00 AM to 12:00 NN via Zoom and ECOP eCampus (2-day program)
Regular Price/Non-member Rate: PhP 4,000.00.00
All ECOP members are entitled to a member-rate discount using a coupon code. To get a code, kindly contact our Training Department at [email protected]
- The training slot is confirmed only upon receipt of payment. Only confirmed (paid) participants will be given access to the training.
- The registration fee must be paid not later than two (2) working days before the first session of the training.
- The speaker will make available learning materials that participants will use in this training program. It can be downloaded from our eCampus platform.
- The recorded video of the session will be uploaded in our eCampus platform after each training session.
- Participants will receive e-certificates after the training.
Click here to register
Deadline for Registration: September 21, 2022
Deadline for Payment: September 22, 2022
For more inquiries, you may contact us via ECOP Training and Development: [email protected]