- This event has passed.
Strategic CBA Negotiations for Employers
March 13 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Negotiating with the union is fraught with many challenges. If not done properly, it can result to an onerous contract that could affect the profitability and sustainability of a company. At worst, it could result into a deadlock and strike. Main objective of this course is how to avoid these pitfalls in negotiations.
CBA negotiations must be strategic in the sense that the results must be aligned to your business plans and the agreement ensures that it will contribute to a productive, stable and sustainable business operations. It means approaching this process armed with the necessary information, with a clear understanding of your priorities and with a clear bargaining strategy.
The course will help the participants in developing a strategy which includes the list of the outcomes you are seeking in the negotiations, identifying the financial costs of agreeing to particular wage/benefit demands, a list of items you insist to be included and excluded in the agreement, and the formulation of a strike contingency plan as a preventive, if not, a mitigating measure.
The seminar also presents innovations in negotiation techniques and tactics, provides fresh perspectives on rules and practices and helps participants identify their negotiating style.
Preparation, knowledge of the opposite bargaining team, data gathering, communications, techniques in bargaining, identifying the bargaining zone are central points to be discussed in the seminar.
1. Gain a better understanding of
- Legal/Institutional framework of collective bargaining negotiations
- Rights of employers and employees in CBA negotiations
- Processes of bargaining
- Processes of conciliation and mediation
2. Improve their skills and competencies in
- The preparation for collective bargaining
- Data and information gathering for decision making
- Quantifying the economic package
- Strategic support
- Techniques in bargaining negotiations
3. Acquire knowledge of
- The bargaining processes
- The importance of contingency plan to avert or minimize damage in case of a strike
- The drafting of the bargaining agreement
- Implementing the agreement
- Administering the agreement
- Legal framework of negotiations
- International law
- Constitutional framework
- Definition of CBA
- Negotiation vs. Bargaining
- Factors that interplay in CBA negotiations
- Hindrances to a successful conclusion of CBA
- Clauses in CBA
- No Strike and No Lock-out Clause
- Strike or Lock-out is a lose/lose situation
- Management Prerogatives and Workers’ Rights
- Union Security
- Grievance Procedure
- Economic Provisions
- No further claims/ exclusivity clause
- Binding Arbitration
- Effective preparation stage
- Strike contingency plan
- Formulating the economic package
- Performance-based bargaining
- Attributes of the negotiating panel
- 5 Basic Bargaining Styles
- Strategies of the negotiation panel
- Human resource
- Costing the Economic Impact of a Wage Increase Proposal
- Negotiation proper
- Types of negotiation
- Process of negotiation
- Developing and designing effective counter proposals
- Determining the bargaining zones
- Negotiations tips
- Pointers in CBA writing
- Types of negotiation
- Concluding an agreement
- What if a union declares deadlock?
ATTY. RANULFO (NOLI) P. PAYOS was a lecturer in the De La Salle Professional School, Inc. Graduate School of Business’ corporate governance program. He is the Chairman of a management consulting firm, Change Management International, Inc. He is the Vice President of the Employers’ Confederation of the Philippines (ECOP) and Vice President of ECOP Institute of Productivity and Competitiveness (EIPC). Likewise, he was a former member of the Board of Directors of the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) as a representative of the employer sector.
He is appointed by President Benigno Aquino III as Commissioner of the Tripartite Voluntary Arbitration Advisory Council (TVAAC) and currently a member of the Tripartite Industrial Peace Council (TIPC) and Tripartite Executive Committee (TEC). He is an awardee of the People Manager of the Year in 1987, a Diplomate in Personnel Management, and was elected President of the People Management Association of the Philippines (PMAP) for two terms. He was a former member of the Board of Regents of Rizal Technological University. He also elected President of the Society of Fellows in Personnel Management. He was a former member of the Society of Human Resources of the USA (SHRM).
Atty. Payos has had 31 years of professional experience in Human Resources Management, occupying senior executive positions in several multinational companies until his retirement in 1994 as Senior Vice-President of Human Resources and Administration and Corporate Secretary of Eastern Telecommunications Philippines, Inc. He also held leadership positions in various professional and civic organizations. Moreover, he took up MBA studies and continuing management education and training programs in several reputable schools and institutions in the Philippines, the U.S.A., and the United Kingdom. He has also attended international conferences on human resources management and labor relations in the U.S.A., ASEAN countries, Japan, Australia, Hongkong, Korea, Switzerland, Italy, and Ireland. He was six times employers’ delegate to the International Labor Organization (ILO) in Geneva, Switzerland. His areas of expertise lie in Human Resource Management, Labor Relations, Training and Development, Manpower Planning, Executive Selection and Placement, Corporate Communications, Job Evaluation, and Performance Management.
He is a co-author of the book “Personnel Management in the 21st Century” – a revision of the book written initially by PMAP founder and first President, entitled “Personnel Management.” and author of the newly-minted book, “Human Resource Management – From the Practitioner’s Point of View.
March 13 and 16, 2023 from 9:00 AM to 12:00 NN via Zoom and ECOP eCampus (2-day program)
Regular Price: Php 4,000.00
All ECOP members are entitled to a member-rate discount using a coupon code. To get a code, kindly contact our Training department at [email protected]
- The training slot is confirmed only upon receipt of payment. Only confirmed (paid) participants will be given access to the training.
- The registration fee must be paid not later than two (2) working days before the first session of the training.
- The speaker will make available learning materials that participants will use in this training program. It can be downloaded from our eCampus platform.
- The recorded video of the session will be uploaded in our eCampus platform after each training session.
- Participants will receive e-certificates after the training.
Click here to register
Deadline for Registration: March 7, 2023
Deadline for Payment: March 8, 2023
For more inquiries, you may contact us via ECOP Training and Development: [email protected]