- This event has passed.
Proactive Labor Relations in a Non-Unionized Environment
September 25, 2023 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
One event on September 28, 2023 at 9:00 am
Our Constitution and the law recognize the right of workers to organize. While this right must be respected by all employers, there is also a concomitant right of a business enterprise to maintain its non-union status. This is not prohibited by law.
Only 10% of the workers are organized. The rest are unorganized. What are the best practices of the companies they are working in that made them see no need to organize? The seminar focuses on what preventive measures these companies have designed in dealing with their employees fairly without the intervention of a third party – the union? What are their compensation and benefit practices? What are their communications strategies? How do they engage their employees? What do they do if there is an attempt to organize without running afoul with the law?
The course runs through the best practices of these companies that have been able to operate for more than fifty years without being unionized. Common threads could be found from among these companies that could serve as models for other non-organized companies to follow.
At the end of the 2-day program, participants will be able to:
- Know the importance of good labor relations during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Create a positive/proactive employee relations environment
- Communicate a positive employee relations policy (including alternative work arrangements)
- Understand what are the company early warning systems in terms of employee dissatisfaction at work
- Appreciate the do’s and don’t’s when the union knocks at your door
- COVID-19 and labor management relations
- The true meaning of preventive labor relations
- The Constitution and the law
- Distinction between non-union and anti-union
- Communicating a positive employee relations policy
- Creating a positive/proactive employee relations environment
- Components of a positive employee relations environment
- Advantages of a positive employee relations environment
- Why employees seek union representation
- Understanding personal value systems
- Impact on unionization
- Company early warning system
- How unions organize employees
- The External organizers
- The Internal organizers
- What to do when union knocks at the door
Industrial relations and human resources practitioners and managers of organizations who would like to maintain a non-unionized environment.
- Case analysis
- Re-entry plans
Atty. Ranulfo (Noli) P. Payos
- Lawyer by profession, consultant on HR and Labor Relations in some companies
- Active and current member of TEC (Tripartite Executive Committee) and NTIPC (National Tripartite Industrial Peace Council) since the inception of these two tripartite bodies
- Commissioner of the National Wages & Productivity Commission
- Former lecturer of the De La Salle Professional School, Inc. Graduate School of Business in its corporate governance program
- Chairman of a management consulting firm, Change Management International, Inc.
- Vice President of the Employers’ Confederation of the Philippines (ECOP)
- Former member of the Board of Directors of the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) as a representative of the employer sector
- Former Commissioner of the Tripartite Voluntary Arbitration Advisory Council (TVAAC), representing the employer sector
- People Manager of the Year Awardee of PMAP, and a Diplomate in People Management
- Past President of the People Management Association of the Philippines (PMAP) for two terms and past President of the Society of Fellows in Personnel Management (S0F)
- Former member of the Board of Regents of Rizal Technological University and a former member of the Society of Human Resources of USA (SHRM)
- Had 31 years experience in Human Resources Management in several multinational companies until his retirement as Senior Vice President of HR, Adm., and Corporate Secretary of Eastern Telecommunications of the Philippines, Inc.
- Took up MBA studies in Ateneo de Manila University and continuing management education and training programs in several reputable schools and institutions in the Philippines, U.S.A., and the United Kingdom.
- A frequent delegate to the ILO annual conference in Geneva, representing the employer sector.
- Lecturer on Labor and Human Resource Management at Employers Confederation of the Philippines (ECOP), People Management Association of the Philippines (PMAP), formerly, at U.P. School of Industrial Relations (U.P. SOLAIR) and in some in-house seminars of large companies.
- Retained twice – May and August of 2008 – as External Collaborator by ILO Cambodia to conduct CBA Training for Cambodian domestic and foreign employers.
- Co-author of the book “Personnel Management in the 21st Century” – a revision of the original book written by PMAP founder, Perfecto Sison, Sr.; co-author of the book, “Organization and Management,” author of the book, “Human Resource Management – From the Practitioner’s Point of View,” and co-author of the newly-minted PMAP book, “The Moving Train – Integrating Strategy, Organization and People.”
September 25 and 28, 2023, 9:00 AM to 12:00 NN via Zoom and ECOP eCampus (2-day program)
Regular Price/Non-member Rate: PhP 4,000.00.00
All ECOP members are entitled to a member-rate discount using a coupon code. To get a code, kindly contact our Training Department at [email protected].
- The training slot is confirmed only upon receipt of payment. Only confirmed (paid) participants will be given access to the training.
- The registration fee must be paid not later than two (2) working days before the first session of the training.
- The speaker will make available learning materials that participants will use in this training program. It can be downloaded from our eCampus platform.
- The recorded video of the session will be uploaded in our eCampus platform after each training session.
- Participants will receive e-certificates after the training.
Click here to register
Deadline for Registration: August 29, 2023
Deadline for Payment: August 30, 2023
For more inquiries, you may contact us via ECOP Training and Development: [email protected]